Saturday, October 30, 2010

Welcome!


Welcome to my blog, where I'll be posting Offramp Gallery updates, information, images and other interesting items.

Our current exhibition is Lea Anderson: Membrainchain -- A Mind-Blending Installation. If you haven't seen it, I hope you'll drop by. The reaction I'm hearing the most from visitors is "WOW!"



We are very excited that Lea will be back in town from Albuquerque for the closing reception on Sunday, November 21, from 2-5pm, with an artist's talk at 3pm.

Lea moved into the guest room for a week to do her installation. It was a blast having her here and watching her produce her piece. She is a consummate pro and put in many late, late nights!



Lea Anderson, Magnetic Resonant Imagining 1, 2010,
mixed media, 14" x 18"

Besides the installation, there are 11 drawings on display by Lea combining MRI imagery with mixed media.

In these drawings, Anderson conveys a heightened sense of wonder, much like what one feels when encountering the beauty and complexity of the natural world. Using organic forms and vibrant colors, she creates works that seem to live, breathe, and celebrate a sense of being alive.









The organic quality of Lea's work reminds me of what I consider a basic reference book for visual artists, Art Forms in Nature by Ernst Haeckel. First published in 1904 in Europe, the plates show a multitude of unusual life forms, drawn from nature, but with a special emotional quality that makes them so much more than typical scientific renderings.


That's all for now. I'll be posting more about "Membrainchain" soon.




4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane! You are so intuitive- that is my ALL-TIME favorite book of images. I look at it frequently and even use it for a project with my Design students. I also dig Karl Blossfeldt. Any imagery that focuses on the patterns and miraculous shapes/textures found in nature is incredibly inspirational to me. Good Call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick Hughes is the artist at Bergamot you were trying to remember. He has written quite a few witty books on visual illusion as well.
    Heather Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heather! He's amazing. -- Jane

    ReplyDelete